Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to see an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Have to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to eliminate the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will make sure that whenever you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal should be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must consider the grade where your yard currently sits and the level of soil you have to install for the new lawn. In a few special cases where you might give a layer of new soil without having to be above grade, you could leave the present lawn set up. New lawns will need the absolute minimum depth of three inches of the well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed by using sod cutter, utilizing a bobcat plus an excavator in challenging to access yards may be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For The New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is really important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will discover far better growth over time if a quality top soil is installed. In many cases the better expensive the soil, the better quality.
The best lawn should be designed with a minimum of 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and have a strong odor should be avoided too. Typically topsoil today is manufactured from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the contents of the soil and make certain the composting process is finished. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance ought to be requested from your supplier.
Type of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf will be the preferred approach to installing a whole new lawn. Sod may be installed all year round and turf farms are open to supply throughout the year.
The wide range of grass seed or sod to utilize will depend on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This includes the quantity of traffic that your particular lawn area is put through, including pets and kids.
2. The amount of sunlight that the lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
Typically turf that comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn may be completed by using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls and so the seams usually do not match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending some extra time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers all of the soil. If you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a difficult job if you don’t take the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place having a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. There is no need to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Usually do not allow the turf dry out at any point. If the sod is able to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the new lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn can be a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification to the property.